Friday, March 25, 2011 11:31 AM
Every time we turn around someone is asking us about mobile. It is obviously in the forefront of many people’s mind and rightly so. Mobile traffic is growing at light speed. According to study by Cisco, it is estimated that global mobile web traffic grew 159% in 2010. That is 4.2 times faster than standard broadband traffic. The study predicts by 2015, smartphones and tablets will make up just over 30% of the mobile market.
So we know that optimizing your site for mobile is important, but how important is it to you right now? Google Analytics makes it super easy for you to find that out. You can see the number of people using mobile devices to access your website, where they are coming from and what they are doing on your site, allowing you to make decisions based on actual usage, instead of guessing.
View Mobile Traffic via Google Analytics
- Login to your Google Analytics account.
- In the upper right hand corner, click on advanced segments.
- Scroll down under default segments and select mobile traffic
- Click apply
Now what: find what percentage of your web traffic is mobile.
- Looking at your dashboard you should see all visits and mobile traffic visits
- What to do with that info:
- 1-5% Start thinking about your mobile strategy
- 5%-15% Implement your mobile strategy now
- >15% You’re late! If you haven’t already implemented a mobile strategy you are hurting your business.
So now you know when and how you need to start thinking about mobile. It is a trend that is not going away. So, even if only 1% of your web traffic is mobile you need to start making your plan for what you are going to do for them.